March 1 Daily Update
March 1 Daily Update
Lauren Pratt, Producer

WTV's Neta Even brings you today's news and announcements...

The Weekly: spring fashion

March 1 Daily Update
March 1 Daily Update
Lauren Pratt, Producer • March 1, 2024

WTV's Neta Even brings you today's news and announcements including FISD's job fair, NHS applications and this week's edition of Real Talk.

Soccer kicks off their season

Addyson Schick
District play has arrived after boys’ soccer competed in the Melisa tournament Thursday through Saturday. The team walked away with a record of 1-2, hoping to get better results in district play.

Both boys’ and girls’ soccer kick off their season Friday with scrimmages with the girls’ traveling to take on Reedy, and the boys’ hosting Panther Creek at The Nest.

“I hope our guys first and foremost most important thing is that they enjoy the process of playing and competing together each day,” boys’ head coach Evan McGee said. “I hope that they mature and grow as athletes as well as young men. What helps with a lot of that is winning games. So I hope to win games, make the playoffs, and reach our full potential.”

The soccer programs began practicing at the start of the school year but Friday’s scrimmages . are their first opportunity to gauge how they compare to other teams.

“We [were] constantly having to play against each other and stuff, and that gets very tiresome especially whenever December is the first time that you can play,” head girls’ coach Kyle Beggs said. “So it’s just kind of exciting to get back out there as a group [and] as a unit. Just kinda seeing how this new group plays together for the first time against somebody that isn’t each other.”

The girls’ team will be entering a rebuilding year this season, losing 12 seniors last year.

“I’m very scared,” junior Lily Gibbons said. “We have a lot of new freshmen and a lot of seniors graduated last year, so we’re not all connected.”

On the boys’ side, the team is senior-heavy this year, hoping to achieve the playoffs unlike last year.

“I am nervous, because it is gonna tell if are team is ready for the season or not,” sophomore Joseph Mediaceja said. “Personally, I just hope we make it to playoffs.”