• April 26 is a bad weather make-up day (if needed)
  • Prom tickets are on sale, and the dance is on April 13

The digital divide in access to educational resources needs to change

Juleanna Culilap

Technology has become an essential tool in the classroom to communicate with students and families. According to the University of the People, technology helps students develop problem-solving, critical thinking, and collaboration skills by providing them with tools and resources. 

Along with this, technology integration provides students with the digital literacy skills they need to succeed in the modern workplace. With 92% of jobs requiring digital skills in 2023, technology greatly improves student’s chances of success in the job market. According to a survey conducted by Gallup and Amazon Web Services, workers with advanced tech skills earn about 49% more than workers who don’t use tech skills in their jobs. This reinforces the importance of teaching students how to use technology. Digital skills are becoming increasingly essential for success in the job market, and students need to learn these skills to maximize their success.

Despite living in an era dominated by technological advancements, the digital divide in education is still prominent. Regarding education, the digital divide refers to the gap between those who have and those who lack equitable access to technology and internet access to support their learning. 

There are significant consequences for the future of education when students have unequal access to technology and internet resources. For this reason, it is crucial to put in place device accessibility programs, community Wi-Fi efforts, and teacher technology training to guarantee that every learner has equal access to the digital tools required for success. 

It is essential to provide accessible and reasonably priced devices. Donation drives and equipment subsidy programs are two examples of initiatives that can guarantee economically disadvantaged students access to the resources they need for online education. This can be accomplished through partnerships between governments, educational institutions, and technological businesses, or with the assistance of various non-profits. On a smaller scale, groups like Devices for Students collaborate with companies, neighborhood associations, and other educational institutions to link students in greatest need of technical resources with these resources. Still, governments and educational institutions can also collaborate with technology companies like Microsoft, Samsung, and Apple to enable large-scale device purchases, lowering the cost of access for students from low-income families.

Communities can gain from the establishment of public Wi-Fi hotspots in shared places, in addition to individual residences. This guarantees that students can use public libraries, community centers, or parks as places to connect to the internet for educational purposes even if they don’t have access to it at home. As an example, the New York Public Library provides free Wi-Fi in all of its locations, promoting educational access and community empowerment. 

Teachers are essential in helping students learn digitally. Teachers should have access to extensive training programs to improve their digital literacy. Giving teachers the resources they need to successfully incorporate technology into their lesson plans not only creates a more engaging classroom environment but also gives students the confidence they need to successfully navigate the digital world.

With its ability to equip students with the necessary skills and prepare them for the demands of today’s business environment, technology has emerged as a vital resource in education. Even with its potential for revolution, the ongoing digital gap remains a major barrier to fair access. Initiatives like community Wi-Fi projects, device accessibility programs, and thorough teacher training are essential to closing this gap and should be made possible by partnerships between nonprofits, governments, educational institutions, and technology corporations.