April 25 Daily Update
April 25 Daily Update
Joaquin Perez, WTV Producer • April 25, 2024

WTV's Karina Grokhovskaya brings you today's news and announcements, including the Red Rhythm spring show, a physics project, and this week's...

College should be free

The+cost+of+college+is+becoming+too+prohibitive+and+something+must+be+done+to+make+it+affordable+for+all+students.+
Juleanna Culilap
The cost of college is becoming too prohibitive and something must be done to make it affordable for all students.

According to College Board data, the average cost of annual tuition in the United States for public, four-year colleges is $10,740 for state residents and $27,560 for out-of-state residents living off-campus. Annual room and board costs are an additional $11,950 to the cost of college. 

Since attending college is getting more expensive, many students choose not to attend, creating fewer opportunities for upward mobility, and widening health disparities and racial gaps. People who decide to attend often try to save money in other ways leading to food and housing insecurity. One in every three college students needs more to eat as well as stable housing. Students often reduce their food intake, skip meals, and decide to purchase cheaper, less nutritious food. Some students even sleep in their cars, “couch-surf,” or are homeless.

To cover some costs of college, students often resort to seeking out loans. One in five adults (forty-five million Americans) have student loan debt. Americans have $1.75 trillion in total student loan debt. Since many students rely on loans, the Biden administration hopes to ease the transition back into repayment by forgiving up to $20,000 in student debt for tens of millions of students.

However, politicians like Bernie Sanders argue that minimal student loan forgiveness won’t tackle the real issue. Instead, make public colleges and universities tuition-free, and cancel all student debt.

Yes, college should indeed be free because it will lead to increased accessibility, less student loan debt, and a more educated population. 

In a study published by Statista Research Department, only 37.9 percent of the U.S. population who were aged 25 and above had graduated from a higher education institution. The study concluded that education levels were correlated with wealth but  the cost of attending a four-year university is out of reach for many Americans. 

The main goal of free college is increasing educational attainment. People from low-income households won’t be held back and will have access to higher education

Free college results in less student loan debt. As mentioned previously, student loan debt is skyrocketing, and its effects on students are causing them to take desperate measures to afford university. It is common for graduates with debt to delay major milestones or aspirations such as starting a business, traveling, getting married, or buying a home. However, if tuition is free, students will take on significantly fewer student loans. Without these loans, graduates are more willing to take chances and achieve their goals. 

Finally, free college will lead to a more educated population. Free college leads to improved graduation rates. Since more people are completing university, more people will be educated. This increased education is good for the economy since students will earn just over 25 percent more. Along with this, pursuing higher education, such as a master’s or doctorate, will further improve earnings. 

Those who oppose free college education often refer to an increase in taxes. However, since an educated population is earning more money, they can pay more taxes and support free education. According to College Board research, four-year college graduates paid, on average, 82% more in taxes than high school graduates. For those with a professional degree, average tax payments were more than three times as high as those of high school graduates. 

22 countries around the world offer tuition-free and low-tuition colleges. One of these countries is Germany. Education in Germany is publically funded and colleges are given a budget to provide free tuition for both national and international students by the education ministry. This system of state financial assistance has been in place since 1971 since the initiative ensures economic growth and welfare for the greater population. The budget Germany’s education ministry gives to universities is taken from tax revenue. 

Currently, companies such as Walmart, McDonald’s, T-Mobile, etc., have programs that help cover the cost of going back to school for employees. Corporations are willing to cover some of the tuition costs because employees who pursue post-secondary education gain new general skills. These new skills help improve company productivity and increase employee engagement

Student aid programs companies offer can be replaced by using corporate tax to fund higher education. In 2021, the federal government collected $4.0 trillion in revenue. Out of this, 6% was corporate tax. The US government could use a portion of this to pay for free college tuition. This would be in the best interest of companies because part of their tax revenue would be used to obtain a trained workforce without having to offer special plans. 

College should be free because it will lead to increased accessibility, less student loan debt, and a more educated population.