Coaches change up some offseason workouts

In the effort to change things up, first period athletic teams worked out together during off-season training.

Ui Womble

Keegan Williams, WTV Staff Reporter

As the school year comes to a close, so do sports, but that doesn’t stop girls’ athletics from offseason work. In order for the athletes to stay in shape into the summer and for the upcoming season, the coaches changed up the typical first period workout recently by having different teams workout together.

“The combined workouts are beneficial for our athletes and all of our programs,” assistant athletics coordinator U’ilani Womble said, “They get to try different skills and different activities that they might not be used to doing.”

Many of the athletes enjoyed being coached by someone different than they are used to, and being able to compete with athletes from sports including soccer, basketball, track, volleyball, softball, and swimming.

“I like group workouts because it’s a way to bond with other people in the athletic programs,” freshman Macey Edmunds said. “We work really hard and do tons of stations and it’s more fun than just running.”

Along with being able to make friends with athletes in other sports, participating with the group allowed for team building and recognition of the other sport programs.

“It is a really great opportunity to bring all the sports together and teach us all to support each other rather than just our own programs,” sophomore Mary Kate Presley said.

The combined workouts helped further build the school’s athletic culture.

“They get to meet other people,” Womble said. “[They] also find out other team’s strengths and see how they work and how they persevere through adversity.”