Out of the pool and into the history books as swim and dive’s record-breaking season ends

Provided by You-Ning Chou
Being one of only 24 teams qualifying for state, the Redhawks competed UIL 5A state swim and dive meet Friday through Saturday. One Redhawk soared above the rest, with senior Avery Langan finishing 9th in the 100 meter.

Countless months of preparation were put to the test for the Redhawks swim and dive team at the UIL 5A state swim and dive meet hosted by the University of Texas Friday and Saturday.

Six Redhawk athletes – seniors Avery Langan and Dionisio Vega Cabrera, junior Avishi Singh, sophomore Laura Huang, and freshmen Duru Toyoglu and Samantha Njau – competed.

“Getting to the state meet is very difficult as we compete in one of the hardest districts and regions in order to qualify, but this is by far the most kids we have taken in seven years,” head coach Zachariah Gnoza said. “Everyone on the team crushed their personal best times in their events. They stepped up and earned their spot and shined all the way through.”

Although sophomore Laura Huang doubted how successful the Redhawks would be against a stiff field of competition, she was pleasantly surprised by the results.

“I wasn’t even expecting that our team would make it to state at the beginning of the season, let alone swim at the meet, so I’m proud of everyone on the team for working hard,” Huang said. “Our season has been great. I dropped a lot of time and reached many of my personal bests this year, as well as making a lot of friends.”