FFA showcases livestock at show

FFA students from across the area are taking part in the Collin County Youth Livestock Show through Friday where they are showcasing their supervised agricultural livestock projects.

Hannah Alnemar

Brooke Colombo, News Editor

FFA students are attending the Collin County Youth Livestock Show through Friday where they are showcasing their supervised agricultural livestock projects.

Since the beginning of the school year, students have been raising animals and building projects in their agricultural mechanics workshop to exhibit at the livestock show.

“They feed for it, care for it, do all of its vaccinations, learn to identify parasites, learn to identify any problems with the animal, learn to train it and then they show it at the show,” Agricultural Science teacher Julie Anderson said. “All their experiences leading up to the show [teaches] the real world stuff, and then at the show, they get recognized for the work they’ve done. “

Senior Ally Elderman is presenting in the lamb and goat show after going to care for her animal twice a day every single day for the past multiple months.

“Getting to work hands on with animals really helps me get to know their true behaviors and demeanors,” Elderman said. “It has taught me how to handle them ethically so that I can be an example to others how they should be treated as well.”

Many students hope to place in the many competitions that the Livestock Show holds or to sell their animals for profit.

“Going into the show I was hoping that at least one person from Frisco would make sale,” Elderman said. “As a senior all I want from the show is to have fun at my last one and work hard to stay organized throughout the show day and get everything done without stressing out the animals.”