Orchestra preparing for concert in Chicago

The school's orchestra will be performing in Chicago in December as part of the Midwest Clinic. The Redhawks orchestra is just one of three high school orchestras selected to perform.

Henry Youtt, Managing Editor

The school’s symphony orchestra was named Runner-Up in the Texas Music Educators Association Honor Full Orchestra Competition this summer. The honor is just the start of what will is expected to be a busy fall as the orchestra is just of three high school full orchestras to have been selected to perform at the Midwest Clinic and Convention in Chicago on Dec. 16.

“The process of getting [to the Midwest Clinic] is a prestigious thing,” band director Jamie Weaver said. “It is the equivalent of playing in a Super Bowl.”

The school’s orchestra is the first from the district to receive an invitation to perform at the Midwest Clinic and with most people unlikely to make it to the concert in Chicago, there will be preview concert December 9 at the Allen Performing Arts Center.

“We are going to treat it like a dress rehearsal,” orchestra director Julie Blackstock said. “It is an open concert for all our friends and family who are not going to be in Chicago. Everything will be perfect at that point.”

Henry Youtt, Managing Editor

Henry Youtt is a senior and enjoys staying busy with whatever he may be doing. He’s the Vice President of National Honor Society and works as a promotional...