Blood kits now available

District takes proactive step to provide new first aid tools

The new first aid kits provide tools to help stop massive bleeding. The first step in stopping any bleeding is to apply pressure either directly with hands or with the using of bandages or clothing. If the bleeding doesnt stop at that point, the kits also provide a tourniquet which can be used.

Caitlyn Kleibert

The new first aid kits provide tools to help stop massive bleeding. The first step in stopping any bleeding is to apply pressure either directly with hands or with the using of bandages or clothing. If the bleeding doesn’t stop at that point, the kits also provide a tourniquet which can be used.

Melody Tavallaee, Guest Contributor

First Aid Kits designed to stop severe bleeding have been distributed by Frisco ISD to schools throughout the district in order to create the safest environment possible for students. A sudden and massive blood loss can lead to death quickly, but the new blood kits have tools such as a tourniquet and gauze bandages to help stop the bleeding.

“It’s been proven that a person could lose their life without rapid response to it, so this at least gives us some ample tools to use,” nurse Emily Mikeska said. “Hopefully, as long as someone’s willing to help someone out, they would utilize these things.”

There have been no known emergencies in the district requiring a blood kit in recent years, but FISD is constantly thinking ahead to ensure that all schools will be prepared for any possible situations.

“Our district is always wanting to be proactive with these things,” Mikeska said. “We’ve already put AEDs in place before we even had events that required them so we’re just trying to be ready and prepared for anything that should happen.”

The kits come prepared with instructions for use but in order to save time and to treat injuries as soon and efficiently as possible, there will be lessons on how to utilize these tools.

“I hope to communicate certainly with staff,” Mikeska said. “It’ll be a demonstration of how to use a tourniquet properly and discussing about applying pressure to any kind of bleeding and large blood loss.”

The blood kits can be found in four accessible locations: by the nurse’s office, by the side entrance to the auditorium, on the second floor by room C200, and outside by the turf room door.