Choir sings to recruit

Caitlyn Kleibert

Caitlyn Kleibert, WTV Staff Reporter

As counselors are helping 8th graders plan their schedules for high school, the varsity choir payed them a visit to recruit incoming ninth graders for choir.

“We’ve found in the district that a lot of kids drop out of choir between eighth grade and ninth grade,” choir director Bruce Stevenson said. “We just thought it would be important for us to make a connection with them to let them know who we are and what we do and reach out to them in a real close way and to keep singing when they come to liberty.”

Woman’s ensemble and varsity choir made personal notes for each eighth grader taking choir at Vandeventer to persuade them to continue singing.

“I’m having every choir member write a personal note not a letter but a little note to one of the eighth graders at Vandeventer,” Stevenson said. “In that note they are just inviting them to join us and keep singing at our music program here so we’ve just had little notes that are written that will just be another personal contact for these eighth graders when they come to register.”

Both of the school’s choirs performed some of their concert pieces and answered questions for the eighth graders to persuade them to join choir next year.

“Listening to varsity choir I can see how much they’ve improved whereas like middle school and the difference between a high school choir,” 8th grader Shivani Kosuri said. “Listening to it like all the songs that they sang they were so fluent and they just sounded amazing and I strived to be like them so that’s why I definitely want to take choir for the next few years.”

I’m Caitlyn Kleibert reporting for WTV.