Dual Credit informational meeting Wednesday

April Xu

Melody Tavallaee, Guest Contributor

Students interested in the Frisco ISD Dual Credit program will have the chance to get information at a meeting Wednesday from 6-8 p.m.at the Collin College Preston Ridge Campus.

“Collin College’s dual credit program offers amazing benefits to Frisco ISD families,” Collin College Executive Vice President Dr. Brenda Kihl said in a Frisco ISD article. “Completing college classes in high school pays huge dividends through both cost and time savings, which can translate to lower college debt and greater college success.”

For rising junior Ria Bhasin, the Collin College Dual Credit Program is appealing as it offers a chance to prepare for college without the supposed stress of Advanced Placement classes that are offered on campus.

“I believe it can be beneficial for people who want to take a challenging course but don’t want to be in AP,” Bhasin said. “Dual credit is the middle ground between AP and on level and gives me an opportunity to get college credit and save money in an easy way.”

The program will begin adding more courses starting in the 2017-2018 school year and will continue expanding until 2020, eventually offering enough credits for the classes of 2021 and beyond to earn an associate’s degree while also receiving their high school diplomas.

“This is a huge step forward for student opportunity in Frisco ISD,” Superintendent Dr. Jeremy Lyon said in a Frisco ISD article. “The District already offers many rigorous courses to prepare students for college and career. This growing partnership with Collin College enhances our current offerings and gives students even more ability to customize their schedules to meet their long-term goals.”

Trying to offer Frisco ISD families as many opportunities as possible, the expansion of the Dual Credit program is just one more option for students.