Homecoming goes back to the 20s

Esther Son

StuCo members go to much preparation for Homecoming, including making signs to hang throughout the school.

Esther Son, Staff Writer

With the Homecoming dance coming up on Sept. 20, Student Council members, as well as the student body, are busy with preparations for the “Roaring 20s” themed night.

Posters and calendars are posted around the entire school. A special “Hoco Board” that shows all of the information you want to know about the dance is hung up in the social studies hallway. StuCo has been busy painting banners, making decorations and planning activities for this year’s dance.

The theme for this year takes students back into the 1920s, the era in which F. Scott Fitzgerald’s novel The Great Gatsby takes place. Students are excited about this theme, particularly because of the ability to be creative with decorations and ensembles.

“The theme this year is really popular because of Gatsby,” junior Student Council member Jay Schlaegel said. “People will be able to incorporate the theme into their outfits.”

As the date of the dance draws near, the students of Liberty are making preparations of their own. Excitement is high as dates are asked, dresses are bought, and dinner plans are made.

“I’m still waiting to go buy a dress, and I’m super pumped for my first Homecoming,” freshman Veronica Mendez said. “I don’t have any specific plans—just going with the flow,”

Many students are going to the game and dance to enjoy another opportunity to connect with their peers at a school event and are looking forward to a stress-free night.

“I feel like it would be a great way to socialize with friends without the pressure of competition, and just have fun,” sophomore Owen Shen said.

In order to garner more excitement for Homecoming, a pep rally, an RHTV feature dedicated to the dance, and Spirit Week will all take place leading up to the event. Spirit Week will consist of specified days in which students are encouraged to show their spirit for the upcoming dance. The week will consist of: ‘Merica Monday, Twin Tuesday, Wacky Wednesday, Tropical Thursday and Spirit Day Friday.