Say It Louder: everyone deserves love on Valentine’s

Opinion editor Emma Crampton shares her thoughts on various topics in her weekly column.

Christi Lazutkin

Emma Crampton, Opinion Editor

Today, being the international day of love, will most likely be filled with teddy bear’s chocolates, flowers and more gifts exchanged between couples. Valentine’s Day is a cute way to show your affection toward somebody, but do we really need a holiday to express our love to someone?

I’m not in any way hating on Valentine’s Day; I think it’s adorable and really fun. However, I just believe that it’s too commercialized and we shouldn’t depend on a holiday to feel loved and appreciated. A lot of people tend to feel discouraged if they don’t have a partner to do special things with on this day. I just recently got out of a relationship so it is a little harder this year, but I do not feel like it is the end of the world that I don’t have a “valentine.”

My advice for the people who aren’t in relationships and feeling upset is to do something with friends or for yourself. For example, I am inviting a few of my friends over to bake Valentine’s Day related things and just hang out together. You could treat yourself to food, take a bubble bath, watch a movie, do whatever you want. We are in high school and we have our entire lives ahead of us- we don’t need a boyfriend or girlfriend to tell us how important we are because we should know that already.

I like to view Valentine’s Day as a way to express appreciation toward everyone you love rather than just a significant other. If you’re single, you shouldn’t feel left out of this holiday because you can just look at it as love toward people in general. Love is such a universal term that you can interpret in any way you want. It does not have to mean infatuation between one partner and another.