Sincerely Sydney: SAT prep alternatives

In her weekly column, staff reporter Sydney Gish offers her perspective on various issues.

In the past years the school offered SAT and PSAT prep courses. For months it was up in the air on whether or not they would be offered this year, and as of now they have been taken out of of the course catalog due to the fact that with the redesigned SAT, tested items are portrayed more accurately in class instruction. Additionally, new online prep courses have been added that students are able to complete at home.

The SAT is an entrance exam used by most colleges and universities to make admissions decisions. It is often important for students to score high as it helps colleges interpret the student’s’ overall academic performance.

Although it was beneficial to have these classes offered on campus, there are still other ways to prepare for the tests. The Princeton Review and KD are two prep classes that offer flexibility and instructors to help aid students. The big downside though is the cost, as many of them are over $1000.

While many middle and upper-class students can afford personal SAT tutors and classes, there are some that aren’t as privileged. Those students are unable to afford these prep courses, and this causes an unfair advantage for wealthier students since they are able to get heaps of test preparation. Studies have even shown that students who are equipped with more economic resources tend to have a better outcome on the test.  

The students who may not be able to afford these exorbitant classes were relying on the one offered here. However, Khan Academy offers free practice tests, tips, and guides over missed questions that can be accessed when they choose.

Even though it was more convenient for some to have an SAT prep class on campus, there are a few alternatives students can pursue in order to prepare for the test.

Sincerely,

Sydney