El Paso to San Antonio: academic teams compete

Amy Zhang

DECA, HOSA, and Academic Decathlon teams advanced in their respective competitions this weekend.

Olivia Kirklin, Editor-in-chief

The weekend was an eventful one for the campus academic teams with members of DECA, AcDec and HOSA advancing in their respective competitions.

The school had 24 winners at the DECA state competition, with 15 students advancing to the Internationals Career Development Conference held in Anaheim, CA in late April.

“The state experience was great,” DECA sponsor Chris Ham said. “We took the most amount of qualifiers this year, a record-breaking high. We also took the highest amount of competitors to internationals, record breaking again compared to last year, and we had the most students out of all the Frisco ISD districts so overall it was a pretty big success.”

Also competing at the state level, the Academic Decathlon team which traveled by bus to El Paso.

“The AcDec team worked extremely hard in the competition,” Academic Decathlon sponsor Gary Mumford said. “They ended up placing in the top 20, finishing in 18th place.”

At regionals, HOSA had 13 students place in the top 10 percent or top 3 of their events. Those who placed will be advancing to the state competition in March.

“I had a great time competing, and it was great to see how involved and supportive our entire HOSA chapter was of the people who were competing and placed,” senior Megha Ganapuram said. “It was exciting because I placed 4th for the first time, even though only top three go to state. There were other teams and individuals who made it to state, which will be in Corpus Christi this year.”                                                  

Below is a look at how AcDec, DECA and HOSA students performed: