• Summer vacation June 4-August 15

• First day of school is Thursday, August 16

Sincerely Sydney: teens need to stay informed

In her weekly column, staff reporter Sydney Gish offers her perspective on various issues.

Sydney Gish

Sydney Gish, Staff Reporter

For many teens the whole world is accessible by the click of a button, however many adolescents aren’t aware of the events unfolding around them. From being on the verge of our sixth mass extinction to the recent suicide bombing in Damascus, many of today’s teens are unaware of the things going on around them.

After high school, students make the transition to adulthood and being aware of current events is a big step in self growth and advancement. Keeping up with current social, political, economic and environmental news enhances knowledge about the world, inhibiting better decision-making skills for now to adulthood.

One of the main reasons why teens don’t keep up with current events is their obsession with social media. While we have access to online newspapers and magazines that focus on world issues, teens still spend nine hours of their day on social media. It’s understandable to want to share moments with friends and family, but looking at current events for even ten minutes can be beneficial.

Understanding current events can help students understand the importance of other cultures and issues outside of the classroom. It can also stimulate conversation between parents and students, since it helps them engage in adult conversation. In addition, opportunities are presented for students to be more involved in class discussions and debates.

Many of my own opinions are formed by what I see going on around me, which has helped my perspective on life change.  Knowing how the world is working right now can help teens become more knowledgeable about how to change it in the future.

Sincerely,

Sydney

Sydney Gish, Staff Reporter
Sydney Gish is a junior and in her 2nd year of Wingspan. She is a member of FCCLA, Key Club, NAHS, the Raven and Best Buddies. In her free time she is either volunteering for Hope’s Door or the Red Cross and enjoys painting, reading and writing. Contact Sydney: [email protected]