Student art showcased at Arts in the Square

Senior Aamerah Hakues artwork is one of six pieces selected by art teachers on campus to be showcase at Art in the Square Saturday and Sunday at Frisco Square.

Aamerah Hakue

Senior Aamerah Hakue’s artwork is one of six pieces selected by art teachers on campus to be showcase at Art in the Square Saturday and Sunday at Frisco Square.

Olivia Kirklin, Editor-in-chief

The 8th annual Arts in the Square will be held this Saturday and Sunday at Frisco Square.

“The event features over 120 of some of the best local and regional artists selling their handmade creations,” according to the Frisco Square website. “Artists compete in the following categories: Fine Arts/Graphics, Pottery, Textiles, Glass, Jewelry, Leather, Metal, Photography, Wood, and Miscellaneous.”

The artwork of FISD students from elementary school to high school will be featured at the event, including six students from campus.

“Arts in the Square showcases artwork, music, and different aspects of artwork in the district,” art teacher Fred Rodriguez said. “Each of the three art teachers can submit two pieces of art, so six pieces from our school are submitted each year from the beginner to advanced categories.”

Student artwork picked for submission is generally selected based on their ability to be creative and set themselves apart from other artist’s work.

“It’s hard to pick who’s artwork to submit,” Rodriguez said. “This time I chose two portraits and both of them are just really good and had a different level of creativity.”

Being picked to have her portrait featured at Arts in the Square, surprised senior Aamerah Hakue.

“My portrait is a woman holding flower, the whole point of it was to practice color theory in different modes of coloring,” Hakue said. “I wanted to do something more detailed than I’m used to because I wanted to see what I was capable of. I had no idea it was going to get submitted to an art show so it was really exciting for me.”