Lab teaches transpiration

Caitlyn Kleibert

Caitlyn Kleibert, WTV Staff Reporter

Students picked four bedding plants to place in four different conditions, humid, windy, sunny, and control.

Each plant is then placed in a Ziploc bag with soil in it.

Once that was completed they recorded the initial mass of the plants before beginning the experiment.

After that each plant is placed in a certain environment to mimic various environmental conditions.

One plant will be placed in the control environment, which receives normal light and air.

Another plant will be placed in the windy environment, which is on a lab table by a fan.

The third plant will be placed in a humid environment. To accomplish this students will mist leaves with water and cover the top of the plant with a second plastic bag to prevent the mist from leaving.

The final plant will be placed in a sunny environment which is a lab table with four lamps positioned to direct the light on the plants.

“Some plants live in windy environments and some live in like sunny environments, so that’s all going to change respiration,” AP Biology teacher Chris Ham said. “So if they’re in a sunny environment maybe the water dries up really fast so they need more water to replace those right? And some of them live in humid environments where there’s so much water in there that they don’t have to transpire at all. So it just depends on the plants and this lab is suppose to show you how this one plant can be affected by a different environment.” Not only is this lab interactive, it can also help students for the future.”

“Oh well this lab just provides basis of background information of plants and so I could definitely use that maybe in college if I’m going down a bio major,” junior Sourya Narala said. “And even on the AP test if I forget something about plants I can always look back to this experiment.”

I’m Caitlyn Kleibert reporting for WTV.