• Summer vacation June 4-August 15

• First day of school is Thursday, August 16

Art students aim for goal

Senior Jordan Hamilton's work from 2015 is the featured art for November 2016 in the Dallas Cup Dallas is Diversity calendar.

created by Jordan Hamilton

Reem Khan, Guest Contributor

Art 1 students are participating in a drawing contest with the winners getting their work in the 2018 Dallas Cup calendar.

I think the soccer project is great, I think it benefits both the tournament to get some exposure but also allows students to showcase their work outside of the classroom,” art teacher Fred Rodriguez said. “I think it is super beneficial because I think it often encourages students that they have a voice and it matters.”

The goal of the artwork is to combine elements of Dallas and its diversity.

“The soccer art project is a really great opportunity for all the art students, or for me specifically, to create a piece that will accurately connect the two concepts of Dallas and diversity in a way that portrays the diversity present in the event,” sophomore Jazlyn Ruiz said. “The chance to also be able to receive a prize for creating a piece of artwork is very surprising and exciting.”

In the past several years the school has had the work of several students featured in the calendar, an honor that brings more than pride.

“If some students win the competition it would be awesome, our students here are super talented and I would be super excited and proud of them,” Rodriguez said. “Not only that but some of the winners get scholarship money for college so that is always helpful and will be a bonus on top of winning the contest.