• Tennis wins Bi-District Championship beating McKinney North 10-4

• Gary Burns 5K & Fun Run is Oct. 27 at Toyota Stadium

• Board of Trustees calls for TRE and Bond Election to be on Nov. ballot

Review: Masala Wok

Despite disappointing service, guest contributor Fernando Garcia thinks Masala Wok is worth its authentic southeast Asian food.

Fernando Garcia

Fernando Garcia, Guest Contributor

Among the various Southeast Asian cuisine options scattered amongst Frisco, Masala Wok is one of authenticity and quality. It provides a change of pace in the dine-in experience as compared to other casual restaurants.

This is apparent when one walks into Odissi lined walls of decor and hears various types of Indian music blaring through the speakers.

The restaurant from the start oozes of nose tingling traditional spices and flavors that aren’t found anywhere else in the area such as curry, fenugreek, and cumin.

In addition to the aromatic spices and pungent flavors, Masala Wok is an establishment of culture ranging from Indian to Thai culinary practices.

The atmosphere however, is surprisingly quiet and family oriented. Noticeable when sitting down, one can truly be at ease while devouring some Tikka Masala or the classic Pad Thai dish.

Oh yeah, did I mention Masala Wok also offered Asian fare as a completely separate part of the menu? This unique aspect of the restaurant satisfies every type of craving its customers have. Dishes on the Asian menu include Blazing Noodles, Hakka Noodles, and Shrimp Szechuan Fried Rice among other dishes.

And just when you thought the food was all you could enjoy in splendor, the place sells an array of exotic fruit-infused beverages. The lychee juice drink, imported from India, is a relief when things get a little too intense between you and the plate you’re eating. Others are mango, guava, chai, and lassi.  

The best part about Masala Wok’s menu is that they aren’t stingy with their food and have no problem stuffing you until you’re blue. Each plate is easily bigger than the size of your fist and will leave you feeling fulfilled and happy with your purchase.

One setback this delectable restaurant possesses however is the mediocre service. In spite of the great food and rewarding environment, employees almost seem disinterested in the needs of their customers, translating into a demeanor in which they only care for the jobs mere completion. Employees aren’t as welcoming as you’d expect them to be and behave in a disappointingly casual manner with customers.

Despite this, Masala Wok definitely compensates with its exceptional food and unique ethnic  offerings.

1 Comment

One Response to “Review: Masala Wok”

1. Ruchi on May 25th, 2018 6:19 pm

I went to Masala wok first time with my family for dinner. I had very bad experience. We ordered a lot thinking that the food would be good but we got disappointed. we ordered three curry- palak paneer, shahi paneer and malai kofta. When they came out, they all taste the same as they had the same gravy which didn’t taste good at all. Naan was cold and dry. So, I had to ask the server to bring some butter to put on Naan. Food was pathetic and didn’t taste good at all. Even the service was not good at all. Servers were talking to each other and strolling around. It was a bad experience. I wasted my $60 on food there.

• Review: Masala Wok

Battling the rain, band ready for UIL

• Review: Masala Wok

Fall concert marks choir’s first performance with new director

• Review: Masala Wok

• Review: Masala Wok

Empty Bowls symbolize empty stomachs

• Review: Masala Wok

Orchestra students shine at All-Region auditions

• Review: Masala Wok

Singing their way to All-Region

• Review: Masala Wok

Competition recording leads orchestra to Allen Performing Arts Center

• Review: Masala Wok

Swift’s reputation secured

• Review: Masala Wok

Orchestra makes fall debut

• Review: Masala Wok

Band marches to The Star in perpetual motion

Review: Masala Wok