• DECA’s first meeting is August 30 at 8:30 a.m. or 4:15 p.m. in C243

• Boys soccer tryouts (for those not currently in the class) are Nov. 28-30 after school on the turf field. See Coach Kaiser in room C112

• CTE Center’s FISD mock trial team will hold an information meeting over the try-out process on August 31 from 6:30-7:30 p.m. at the CTE Center

• Monday is the first day of school with 1st period beginning at 9:00 a.m.

Health science creates first aid notebooks

Health Science 1 students are creating a personal first aid notebooks in preparation for Health Science 2.

Hallie Hunter

Reem Khan, Guest Contributor

Health Science students are working on a project this week to help them be prepared for actual first aid procedures they might have to perform next year in Health Science 2 and in the real world.

I assigned this project to go along with the American Heart Association CPR class all Health Science 1 students take for CPR certification,” health science teacher Mary Thomas said. “First aid goes closely with the steps of CPR, and creating a personal first aid notebook is not only a reference for upper level medically-related classes in high school and college but also useful for a personal reference at home to educate their own families and friends.

The notebook will contain many of the key aspects of the class like first aid terms and emergency procedures.

“Learning the basics of first aid is essential for everybody looking for a position in the medical field,” sophomore Aarti Poduval said. “The things we learn can also be applied to the real world which can also be helpful in future life situations.”

These basics will become the basis of health science and continue to be used throughout their studies and in a career in the field.

“Students don’t usually get a chance to take what they have learned and use it outside of the classroom,” sophomore Elaine Mei said. “Luckily in this case we can and what we have learned could potentially save or help someone down the road, it’s nice to know that what we are learning truly does matter and could make a great impact later on in our lives.”