Hoping to follow the girls’

Rain delayed the start of the 5A Region II boys' golf tournament in Rockwall on Wednesday morning.

Keegan Williams, Sports Editor

The boys’ golf team is hoping to follow in the footsteps of the girls who qualified for state on Tuesday. The boys tee off on Wednesday and finish the tournament Thursday.

Schedule to start at 8:50 a.m., rain delay the start but the team continues to focus on the main goal: winning.

“The hardest thing I think will be being able to play this course due to the fact that the course is not forgiving,” sophomore Vince Matrone said. “I’ve been working really hard on my mental game and my putting lately and the use of these will help me come in with a good score.”

The players have been working individually on their weaknesses in order to play their best on the tough course.

“Something that I personally have been working on is my putting,” junior Tyler Garrigus said. “Our team has been working on our short game so we can play our best and try and go to State, which has never been done before for the guys.”

The team has worked all season and will continue to practice in order to make it to the state tournament in May.

“Our appearance at Regionals shows just how hard each of the players has worked this year,” head coach Shannon Glidwell said. “They are driven to be the best and to compete for a State Championship in 2017.”