LED lights brighten the school

Whether+its+the+LED+lights+in+the+parking+lot+or+encouraging+staff+members+to+turn+off+electronics%2C+the+school+does+what+it+can+to+conserve+energy+and+now+theres+a+new+site+launched+by+the+district+that+shows+energy+consumption+throughout+the+district.+

Whether it’s the LED lights in the parking lot or encouraging staff members to turn off electronics, the school does what it can to conserve energy and now there’s a new site launched by the district that shows energy consumption throughout the district.

Amber Holt, Staff Reporter

Workers are scheduled to finish installing new lights in the parking lots and along the outside of the school early Tuesday morning. The project started three weeks ago with the light crew working from 6 p.m. – 4 a.m. four night a week.

Averaging nearly an hour to replace each light, workers have spent 40 hours a week for three weeks installing the new LED energy efficient lights.

The lights are 60 percent more luminescent and increase the amount of space lit up which will help in different ways.

“The way the district is moving to find a way to serve our community and serve our students and keep them safe,” assistant principal Phil Brown. “And find new ways to cut costs.”

Taking nearly an hour to replace each light, more than 250 lights have been replaced across campus. 

“I think it’s great,” AP environmental teacher Bryan Beck said. “We do a lot for Frisco, [we are] very forward thinking in energy efficiency.”

The new lights also last from ten years whereas the old lights had to be changed almost every two year.

“The maintenance and upkeep of the exterior lights will be greatly reduced,” Frisco ISD Director of Service Centers and Energy Management George Radtke said.

The new lights will lower the amount of energy used by the school as they need approximately half the wattage.

“I just hope the students know that changing the environment direction will have a positive effect,” Beck said. “And hopefully they will appreciate the changes the school makes.”