• June 2 is the last day of school

• Class of 2017 graduation is June 3 at the Dr Pepper Arena at 1:30 p.m.

• Wingspan wins 2017 NSPA Pacemaker

Diversity the face of new gold coin

The newest Lady Liberty coin features an African American woman and despite its price, many like the new face on the currency that appears every two years.

courtesy of the U.S. Mint

Reem Khan, Guest Contributor

For the first time, the Lady Liberty coin of 2017, released a few weeks ago, features an African American woman with stars accessorizing her natural hair. It’s one of the few pieces of American currency to feature a woman and even though the $100 gold coin sells for $1,690, students on campus like the idea of the new coin featuring a different face.

“Having a coin featuring a diverse female is important because it can open up more opportunities for women to be acknowledged in a positive light ” sophomore Jazmin Soto Zuniga said.” I think that maybe having a coin like this will emphasize the diversity that America embodies and not only affect us but also possibly influence other countries to do something similar.”

Later versions of the coin may portray other female figures with more minorities also represented in later years.

“It is very important because the figures on dollar bills are people we as a country look up to,” sophomore Merlyn George said. “Also it can help people start recognizing the highly diverse population America holds.”

The Lady Liberty coin is expected to make appearances every two years, each time featuring a new diverse face.

“This is important for America to do because it shows that men are not the only successful or important people in America and that women should be recognized to,” sophomore Fiza Basheer said. “It shows that women are able to be recognized for their diversity in a positive way and it can empower younger girls to not let themselves be shamed due to their diversity.”