• Summer vacation June 4-August 15

• First day of school is Thursday, August 16

Sincerely Sydney: travel can make you richer

In her weekly column, staff reporter Sydney Gish offers her perspective on various issues.

Change is one of the toughest things a person can endure. For most students, including myself, living in Frisco is the only place they’ve known. And though most of us are underage, it’s still possible to understand the world around us and create a new perspective.

“Travel is the only thing you can buy that makes you richer.”

It may sound cheesy, but it’s true. The more a person travels, the more they learn and grow as a person. One thing a person gains while traveling is the ability to understand different cultures and become more aware of the people around them. It helps someone leave their comfort zone and while being in a place with various languages and dialect can be difficult, it enhances communication skills.

In addition to gaining interpersonal skills, visiting a different place can help a person realize how fortunate they are. It’s easy to forget how lucky we are to live in a wealthy country, and traveling to areas who don’t have that luxury can help someone discover how much they have in comparison to other people. Those experiences create a new perspective and people can start appreciating the things they took for granted.

Although many of us still have to travel with an adult, it is still possible to gain as much independence as someone traveling alone would. Even by stepping into a different place, even if it’s only half an hour away, can make a person more inclined to try things they wouldn’t normally do. The mind become more open, new interests are found, and a sense of adventure is gained.

With the school year coming to a close, I have realized that many people get sucked up into a routined life, including me. Wake up, go to school, attend work, repeat. Life coach Anthony Robbins includes change and chaos as one of the six core human needs. Change is essential for someone to grow and changing surrounding helps a person grow like nothing else can. Traveling gives us time to reflect, realize what’s important, and what does not matter as much as we may think.

Sincerely,

Sydney

Sydney Gish, Staff Reporter
Sydney Gish is a junior and in her 2nd year of Wingspan. She is a member of FCCLA, Key Club, NAHS, the Raven and Best Buddies. In her free time she is either volunteering for Hope’s Door or the Red Cross and enjoys painting, reading and writing. Contact Sydney: [email protected]