• Jostens will be on campus Wednesday to take graduation orders

• Tennis team is the area champion after beating Texas High 10-6 Thursday

Opinion: embrace diversity on campus

Whether it's at lunch, in class, or on the field of play, guest contributor Cole Engelbrecht.

Mady Daddario

Mady Daddario

Cole Engelbrecht, Guest Contributor

With Frisco ISD being the fastest growing school district in all of Texas, certain schools host a very diverse student population with this campus having a melting pot full of students from all corners of the world.

Student diversity comes with many students who celebrate different holidays, eat different foods, speak different languages, and have other unique customs. Students should appreciate the diversity our school has as people from many different countries go to school here and it’s a really cool thing to learn about other cultures that you may not know much about.

If you come to meet someone who has a unique and different heritage than you, trying to educate yourself further can only be a positive move. Not only will you have learned more about how other countries are, but you will have learned more about that specific person and their family, which can be a good thing.

Stereotypes exist today in which people assume certain things about other countries and their heritages just based off what others say. Pre-judging a country is the wrong choice, because you shouldn’t gain an impression unless you have been to that country to experience it yourself. Regardless of what others may think, be open to learning about a country’s heritage and customs before jumping to any conclusions as you never know who may be associated with a certain country.

With such diversity on campus, everyone should try to appreciate each other’s cultures, and learn about ones they aren’t fully aware of. Sitting in school, you may look around and see students who you would never guess to be ethnically diverse.

For example, I have a German (see my last name), Brazilian, and Irish heritage as my parents and their families have roots from these countries. My mom was born in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil which gives me a lot of Brazilian roots and ties as a lot of my family lives there currently. So, try to learn about other people sitting in you classrooms, and celebrate the diversity this school contains. Many unique family backgrounds and histories exist in this school and it’s important to celebrate the cultures that this school brings together with people from different countries.