9th graders make their debut on campus

• Rising freshmen will hit the halls Tuesday to kick off the 2019-20 school year for different activities including a tour around campus. Students will finish the day with a pep rally and class of 2024 t-shirts.

• Several freshmen look at school merchandise at the 2017 Freshman Flight School on Wednesday, Aug. 9, 2017.

• Cheerleaders were on hand at 2017 Freshman Flight School on Wednesday, Aug. 9, 2017 to help 9th graders get acclimated to the school.

• A freshman is caught by surprise after grabbing some snacks and a drink at 2017 Freshman Flight School on Wednesday, Aug. 9, 2017.

• Sitting in the cafeteria, 9th graders are introduced to the school and how things operate as part of the 2017 Freshman Flight Camp on Wednesday, Aug. 9, 2017.

• A group of freshmen walks upstairs during a tour of the school at the 2017 Freshman Flight School on Wednesday, Aug. 9 2017.

• Sitting in a classroom, freshmen listen and take notes during 2017 Freshman Flight School on Wednesday, Aug. 9, 2017.

• Sitting outside, several freshmen talk during the 2017 Freshman Flight School on Wednesday, Aug. 9, 2017.

• Utilizing several rooms on campus, C112 was where freshmen could pick up some “tips and tricks” during the 2017 Freshman Flight School on Wednesday, Aug. 9, 2017.

• Utilizing chomebooks and other technology throughout the day, FISD students will experience more luxuries after the passing of the TRE in early November of 2018. Classrooms across the district will also see smaller class size ratios with the extended budget.

• Upperclassmen were on hand to help provide information to 9th graders at the 2017 Freshman Flight School on Wednesday, Aug. 9, 2017.

• Student leaders led different sessions providing school information to freshmen at 2017 Freshman Flight School on Wednesday, Aug. 9, 2017.

The class of 2021 made its debut at the school with Wednesday’s Freshman Flight School with freshman split into groups and given a tour around campus, where they learned tips and tricks for going to high school, and were introduced to clubs the school has to offer.

“It was very helpful just to see the atmosphere of the school and how to get around,” freshman Caroline Moore said. “It was comforting to get the chance to see where I will be spending the next four years of my life.”

For some, the transition between middle school and high school is difficult, but Flight School was aimed at alleviating nerves.

“I learned that high school isn’t as bad as you think it is,” freshman Chris Xiao said. “It’s going to be more challenging, and you’re going to be doing a lot to get into college, so a part of me is [excited], but a part of me is still stressed out”

For freshman Jia Kanar, Flight School helped prepare for what will be encountered starting Aug. 21 and the first day of school.

“It gave me a better understanding of high school,” freshman Jia Kanar said. “I think I’m going to have to take [high school] a lot more seriously, but I can’t really change what’s going to happen, so I just have to conquer it.”