Sincerely Sydney: new school year, new you

In+her+weekly+column%2C+staff+reporter+Sydney+Gish+provides+her+take+on+high+school+life.+

In her weekly column, staff reporter Sydney Gish provides her take on high school life.

New classes, new teachers, new supplies. Most are accustomed to the changes a new school year brings, but with that also comes new opportunities. This year is different than the last and while most of us are doleful about the return, the new school year offers a chance for students to recreate themselves.

Back to school brings feelings of distress, anticipation, and apprehension for some. Academics are a big part of the stress students face, however social aspects play a big role too. Having classes with familiar faces, finding friends to sit with at lunch, and hoping to make a good impression are some of the common concerns. However, this is the time to branch out. As cliche as it sounds, stepping out of a comfort zone and getting to know different people can truly change a person’s perspective.

Another way to change things this year is getting a reboot on all your grades. Maybe last year wasn’t as successful as hoped. Although grades from previous years won’t go away, this is a fresh start to enhance those marks. Students who slacked off before can learn from that and decide to work harder this year. Taking initiative and striving to do better this year by setting goals and following through with them can help those grades improve.

As students go through each year of high school, they grow. By the end of senior year, no one is the same person as they were when they first stepped foot into high school. Viewing each year as a new beginning helps students realise they have the ability to reinvent themselves in every way possible.

The school year is just beginning and it is understandable not to be enthusiastic about it. However take this year as a chance to be the person you’ve always wanted. Don’t focus too much on what happened in the past, because each day is an opportunity to do better.

Sincerely,

Sydney