Say it Louder: high school dating is pointless

Opinion editor Emma Crampton shares her thoughts on various topics in her weekly column.

Before entering high school, I’m pretty sure most people think that this is where those picture perfect relationships are created. Or at least I did. This idealistic romantic world we create in our heads as young kids is rudely awakened by reality when we actually experience what (most) high school boys find “romantic.”

Don’t get me wrong, I know it’s possible to meet the love of your life in high school and not have to deal with most of these problems. Possible, yes. Likely? Not at all. A lot of the time in high school both people, regardless of gender, are just not mature enough to a handle a relationship. What’s worse than that though, is being ready and dating someone who so obviously is not. It’s like trying to get a newborn to walk on the spot. The finding of a partner with the same mindset about relationships as you is extremely difficult at any point in life; but even more so at this age.

From personal experience, most boys that come in any sort of “romantic” contact with me are usually just trying to get physical; and I speak for most girls when I say this. I get it, you’re a teenage boy, but keep it to yourself please. On the other hand, there are boys who are genuinely interested in you as a person but just have absolutely no idea how to properly treat a girl. We honestly don’t ask for much. Most of us anyway. Usually, all it takes is a “tell me about your day” or just any sort of attention at all. Just don’t act like your “girlfriend” doesn’t exist and that’s a good start.

Dating at this age can be complicated in more ways than just one. As of now, virtually all people in high school still live with their parent(s)/guardian(s). Every one of those parents or guardians have different rules and expectations for their child. That being said, you could have one person in a relationship whose parents has little to no standards as to how late they’re out, who they get into a car with, how well they have to know their parents, etc. whereas the other has parents who is on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Although high school couples can be cute, I often find myself contemplating whether or not it’s worth it. I know it’s important to date enough to figure out what type of things you want in a future spouse, but high school dating seems, for the most part, pointless to me. My main focus at the moment is school and my grades, and all a relationship would do is distract me from that. With a relationship comes inevitable stress and conflict and frankly, I already have enough of that in my life.