Say it Louder: politics in friendships

Whether+its+something+about+school%2C+being+a+student%2C+or+a+social+issue%2C+columnist+Emma+Cramption+tries+to+make+sure+her+message+is+heard+in+her+weekly+column+Say+it+Louder.+

Dea-Mallika Divi

Whether it’s something about school, being a student, or a social issue, columnist Emma Cramption tries to make sure her message is heard in her weekly column “Say it Louder”.

Emma Crampton, Opinion Editor

Politics in friendships is a touchy subject for those who have people in their lives that don’t share the same political view as they do. Luckily, I don’t have this issue, but I see it everywhere. People are always questioning: is a difference in political opinion enough to break a friendship?

It most definitely can be. I’m not saying I won’t talk to anyone with other beliefs than my own, but I don’t think I would ever be able to form a real connection. Many people like to leave politics out of friendships and never discuss it, but that’s entirely ignoring a bigger underlying issue; and I know this from experience.

Political opinions aren’t just simple opinions such as whether you like chocolate or vanilla ice cream more. Your political view most definitely dives in to who you are as a person, because it shows what is important to you and what is not; it reflects both your values/morals and your mindset.

By ignoring this with your friends, you’re ignoring everything you stand by. I personally had to unfollow many people during times of elections because I don’t want to associate with people who have such a strong resentment toward the things that I stand for, and nobody should have to.

Who you allow in your life is obviously your own decision to make. It just depends on how important some things are to you.

If you’re somebody who pays no mind or doesn’t care about politics, you likely won’t have issues regarding befriending someone of either party. However if you’re somebody who does care deeply about these things, I advise you to stand by that and let the people who you surround yourself with reflect that about you.