New list helps students find ways to volunteer

Both+staff+members+and+students+have+access+to+Rocky%3Bs+List+which+allows+a+teacher+to+put+in+a+task+they+need+help+with.+Once+that+is+done%2C+students+can+then+sign+up+for+a+given+job+in+which+they+can+receive+service+hours.+

Both staff members and students have access to Rocky;s List which allows a teacher to put in a task they need help with. Once that is done, students can then sign up for a given job in which they can receive service hours.

Google screenshot

Google screenshot

Google screenshot

Dea-Mallika Divi, Staff Reporter

Students in need of volunteer hours and teachers who need to get small tasks done around the classroom can now work together with Rocky’s List, a signup sheet for students to find a person on campus that needs help.

“Two students came to me looking for volunteer opportunities to eventually get their cords,” assistant principal Stacy Whaling said. “And we were looking around when Mrs. Mosley, who’s been here since the start, came up to us and said hey we used to have this maybe we should bring it back and so we have”.

To get help, teachers put task information on the Google sheet and students can view the list and email the teacher to secure the spot(s). When the spot is filled it’s highlighted in red.

“I believe this will help student-teacher relationships,” junior Vivek Sundararaman said. “It may allow teachers to easily identify the students who are willing to take initiative and contribute and help out around the school”.

Rocky’s List can also help teachers in finding students who are willing to go the extra mile.

“Whenever I have overwhelming or repetitive tasks,” AP Physics teacher Christine Rittenhouse said. “I try to outsource to volunteers for service hours. Last week, I had a couple volunteers come in to cut out laminated flash cards. It would have taken me forever to do it myself! They ended up cutting 240 cards for all AP Physics 1 and C classes.”

Dea-Mallika Divi, Assignment Editor

Dea is a senior who has been doing journalism since her freshman year. She loves movies, reading and listening to music. Her favorite book series is...

Melody Akbari, WTV Staff Reporter

Melody Akbari has been in broadcast for three years and enjoys gathering footage from anywhere on campus, as well as taking interviews. She loves pigeons...