Out of order history

GT Humanities not always in chronological order

The Humanities GT curriculum is teacher and district regulated and has two years of learning tied to each other.

With freshman and sophomores mixed into the same classes, freshman can either start with year one or year two of the GT curriculum.

If you try to do PAP English and AP World History in one year I think we would drive students into the mad house,

— Humanities teacher Sarah Wiseman

The GT curriculum is split into two years because it is giving students credit for PAP English one and AP World History over the course of those two years,” Humanities teacher Sarah Wiseman said. “If you try to do PAP English and AP World History in one year I think we would drive students into the mad house. It means that every other year there are students that are taking AP World History out of order which I’m sure can we weird for some students.”

Although many Humanities students don’t notice the staggered curriculum, it is a factor for some sophomores who began GT their freshman year with year two of their learning.

“It’s split so of course it kind of affects me because we are learning both English and world history at the same time so we’re getting kind of prepared for english and world history,” sophomore Ben Sun said. “But at the same time though we did start off with periods four, five and six so that kind of caused some continuity problems because we didn’t learn the all the history before that but overall I think it is a very effective way of splitting up the curriculum. I certainly believe that the class has less stress than world history because you learning the curriculum over a longer period of time so you do less work but you go more into depth in each topic so you learn more but it’s less work because it’s spread out.”

I think in the end it doesn’t matter too much, it is a different experience,

— Sarah Wiseman

“I think in the end it doesn’t matter too much, it is a different experience,” Wiseman said. “But when I took humanities in high school in Plano I actually took it out of order and it was nice for me because we started with the stuff I was more familiar with and the staff I was more interested in and then the kind of harder less relatable stuff is what I did sophomore year when I was a little bit more skilled at the class but it’s nice to do it in chronological order but there is a skill advantage for the sophomores who are doing it out of order.” 

Reporting for WTV, this has been Walker Shippy.