Best Buddies mixer Thursday

In its second year on campus, Best Buddies is devoted to establishing one to one friendships between students with and without intellectual and developmental disabilities on campus through matching students and hosting events.

Olivia Kirklin, Guest Contributor

Best Buddies is an international organization devoted to establishing one to one friendships between students with and without intellectual and developmental disabilities on campus through matching students and hosting events.

Wingspan sat down with Rylee McHenry, 2015 Best Buddies President, to talk about the important aspects of the organization and the upcoming mixer to be held Thursday in the cafeteria after school starting at 4:15 p.m.

Wingspan: Best Buddies has recently gained a wave of new members, how many events does Best Buddies have per school year and how does it help to keep both old and new members involved?

McHenry: “Our chapter has one event each month, so a total of nine events throughout the year. It keeps our members interested because every event is different from the other one. For example we may watch movies one time, go bowling the next, and go to the park another time, so there is typically an event that appeals to everyone’s hobbies.”

Wingspan: What is the closest upcoming event and how will it help to carry out Best Buddies’ purpose?

McHenry: “Well our main mission is to involve everyone in every way that we can. Our next event is a group mixer on Thursday. We’ll have a lot of team activities instead of individual so that we can promote inclusion for everyone. The goal of the mixer is to break the ice from the beginning. We have a lot of old and new club members and we’d like it to help everyone get to know each other and get comfortable. Whether or not you’re matched with a buddy or you’re an associate, we will be with each other rest of the year and we want this to help build long lasting friendships.”

Wingspan: Last year, the school hosted nine events in order to involve new members. What was the most successful event last year and will there be similar events hosted this year?

McHenry: “Our most successful event last year was the holiday party because we did white elephant and getting to know you games. It was our first event after everyone was matched so we saw a lot of successful interactions. We will definitely be doing another holiday party this year but we’ll revamp it to make it more fun and incorporate more games.”

Wingspan: Since Best Buddies events occur so frequently and involve so many people, how have Best Buddies events left an impact on the students here on campus?

McHenry: “From what I’ve seen it is a really a natural environment for everyone because you don’t need to pretend to be anyone you aren’t, no matter your differences. It provides a way for everyone to feel accepted and it feels just like a family. Mainly it lets everyone know they are accepted for who they really are.”

Wingspan: The school’s chapter has four officers, being president, how has Best Buddies impacted you personally?

McHenry: “Best Buddies has taught me to learn to get to know people who are different from me and that differences aren’t a bad thing. For me, acknowledging differences brings new relationships and it has really brought me out of my comfort zone.”

Wingspan: This is the second year the school has had a chapter. How has Best Buddies changed since last year?

McHenry: “Last year was our first year starting out and we hadn’t known what a big deal the movement we are a part of is. After going to the international conference and realizing the purpose and impact of this club, we are really focusing on carrying out our mission and putting other small details aside, because we are more than just a club.”

Wingspan: What do you see happening for Best Buddies this upcoming year?

McHenry: “We have a lot of goals this year but the big picture is to have as many people leave our events feeling good, whether it was just a meeting or seeing their buddy. I hope to see more successful matches and for everyone to know that they’ve made a difference in the community around them. Hopefully we will be able to adapt to the mission more this year too.”