• 8th grade Redhawk Rally is Jan. 29 6-8 p.m.

• Campus Course Fair is Jan. 25 from 12:10 - 2:35 p.m.

Filed under News

Flu season here and expected to be worse than last year

In this file photo, now junior Aliza Porter talks with a nurse in the library as part of  FISD program that allows employees and their children to get this year's flu vaccination. (October 12, 2016).

Melody Akbari

In this file photo, now junior Aliza Porter talks with a nurse in the library as part of FISD program that allows employees and their children to get this year's flu vaccination. (October 12, 2016).

Flu season is back and experts are expecting this year to be worse than those previous.

There are two different strains of the flu virus: type A and Type B with this year’s strain said to be type A.

The best way to protect yourself is to always use great handwashing practices,”

— school nurse Emily Mikeska

“It would probably considered bad because of the strain that they’re starting to see,” nurse Emily Mikeska said. “At the doctor’s office, when they see one over the other, usually the type A is more severe, and they’ll determine it’s gonna be a bad flu season.”

When it comes to protection from the flu season, people have the option of getting an injected vaccination or a flu spray. While the injection is a dead virus, the spray is a live one that is that is put into the sinus passages.

“The quadrivalent nasal spray vaccine is approved for people 2 through 49 years of age who do not have contraindications to the nasal spray vaccine,” the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said on its site. There is no preference for one vaccine over another among the recommended, approved, injectable influenza vaccines.”

While one vaccine might not be more effective than the other, the nasal spray is typically given to younger children.

If you’re sick and have a fever, stay home, get lots of rest, and just give it time,”

— Mikeska

“Usually the spray is generally limited to children because they’re so afraid of vaccines,” Mikeska said. “However, there’s particular things you have to do when you get it in your nose. You can’t sneeze afterwards, blow your nose, and you have to be able to sniff it up your nose really well.”

In addition to the shot and spray, there are other ways for someone to protect themselves from the flu or manage it if they get it.

“The best way to protect yourself is to always use great handwashing practices just because you’re touching everything that everybody else has touches, so using hand sanitizer regularly, washing your hands,” Mikeska said. “Stay on top of your  symptoms and start treating them, because there’s not necessarily an antibiotic you can take. If you’re sick and have a fever, stay home, get lots of rest, and just give it time.”