• Historically Black Colleges and Universities College Fair Wednesday at Heritage High School

• 5th 6 week grading period ends April 20

• UIL academic team finishes 7th in 5A Region II meet

Getting ready to debate

Having+spent+months+preparing+for+its+competitions%2C+the+school%27s+debate+team+has+its+first+meet+Saturday.+
Having spent months preparing for its competitions, the school's debate team has its first meet Saturday.

Keegan Williams and Dea-Mallika Divi

Debate has its first tournament on Saturday at Melissa High School with most Frisco ISD schools competing as well as many other schools from the DFW area.

“They started working the first day of school on competition prep,” debate advisor Melissa Maier said. “Which is just getting ready with their cases and their LD files and CE files and also working on their speeches.”

The debate team is ready for this competition, and is excited to see how they do.

“We really want to win,” debate captain Parker Butler said. “We have been preparing hard for it and our debate team has only moved forward so we hope to win.”

Although many teams and programs have been competing for weeks, debate takes a bit more time to get ready for competitions.

“Debate requires months of preparation and a lot of collaboration,” Butler said. “Our team has been working hard since August. For a lot of our teammates, this will be their first time competing against other schools, and I think they’re ready.”