Tennis shifts focus to individual season

Vinanti Vemulapalli

Vinanti Vemulapalli, WTV Staff Reporter

The Redhawks were going after their third straight district championship with the title going down to the last match against Independence where the Redhawks fell just short and finished in second place, advancing to the Bi-District opening round of the playoffs.

In Bi-District, the tennis team took care of business by beating The Colony in a 10-0 match allowing them to advance to the Area Round where they beat Texas High School 10-6, leaving the match ranked 7th in the state and advancing to Regional Quarter Finals.

But that’s as far as they would get.

Taking on Highland Park, the number one 5A team in the state, the team fell 10-0 but still finished with one of its best seasons in the past five years.

“You know I think you know we got beat in the Regional Quarterfinals by Highland Park, which is the top team in the state,” Varsity Tennis Coach Brandon Justiss said. “You know they won state I can’t even tell you how many years in a row but we actually had nine really competitive matches that were on the court that’s something to be said when you have a team that wins year after year at the state championship. You know it tells you how our kids fought hard and no matter who they were playing who the opponent was they just went and gave it their all.”

Although the season has come to an end, tennis returns to the court in the spring with the start of the individual season.

Reporting for WTV, I’m Vinanti Vemulapalli.