Drumline hopes to beat competition

The drumline competes in their only competition of the year on Saturday.

Sophomore Elly Campbell, senior Edward Zeng, and senior Haden Bennett gear up for competition.

Brelyn Bashrum, Guest Contributor

The percussion section’s first and last drumline competition is Saturday, in Lewisville.

“I think we’ll do okay,” junior Alexis Jennings said. “We’re a bit smaller than last year, so maybe the competition will be a little more harsh, but I hope we do well.”

Drumline competitions are different than marching competitions in that only the percussion section is performing, with the typical band show cut and the music altered to better suit the drumline.

“I’m pretty excited; I’ve never done something with just the drumline, so it’s going to be fun,” freshman Jai Dunlop said. “We sound good, and as long as we stay focused, we should do great.”

The percussion section has been fine-tuning its performance this week, making sure that the show flows well and that everyone is confident in their individual part.

“I think that we’re set up for success based on everything we’ve done this season,” percussion director Jonathan Jadvani said. “Right now it’s just about being as clean as possible in our playing, and finding ways that we can adjust small things to maximize how clean and presentable we are. Everything else is out of our control.”