• 14 wrestlers advance to this weekend's regional meet at Independence High School

• Swim team takes part in state meet Friday and Saturday in Austin

• Girls' basketball began playoff run with 51-42 win Monday against McKinney North

• The WTV Daily Update named Student Television Network Southwest Regional Broadcast Excellence winner for Best Daily Taped Show

School scores 7 out 7 in state academic accountability ratings

In+the+latest+2017+TEA+State+Accountability+Ratings%2C+the+school+received+seven+out+of+seven+possible+designations.+
In the latest 2017 TEA State Accountability Ratings, the school received seven out of seven possible designations.

Perry Mellone

Perry Mellone

Keegan Williams, Editor-in-chief

The Texas Education Agency has released its final 2017 state academic accountability ratings for schools and districts across the state with the school earning seven out of seven distinct designations.

The ratings are based on student achievement and progress on the STAAR tests, which measure student understanding of the curriculum standards for the state.

“The distinctions are earned by looking at our performance compared to 40 similar campuses across the state,” principal Ashley Rainwater said.

The 41 schools in the same campus comparison group are selected based on grade span, student enrollment, mobility rate, students in special education, and other factors to determine which campuses are most similar.

Within each group, schools are evaluated on test scores in each subject, student progress, and closing achievement gaps, and are ranked according to whether or not they met the standard in the seven distinctions.

“The seven distinctions shows that students and teachers at Liberty High School are focused on learning at high levels and are being successful,” Rainwater said.

The’s school’s rating puts the school in the top quartile of schools in the same comparison group.  

“These distinctions allow us to celebrate our successes and look at our programs in light of other similar schools,” Rainwater said. “The next step, however, is to continue to look at areas where we can grow and refine.”