• Tennis wins Bi-District Championship beating McKinney North 10-4

• Gary Burns 5K & Fun Run is Oct. 27 at Toyota Stadium

• Board of Trustees calls for TRE and Bond Election to be on Nov. ballot

Collaboration to result in website creation for Pre-AP English 1 students

Freshman+Caroline+Moore+checks+out+Weebly%2C+the+website+service+Pre-AP+English+1+classes+will+be+using+in+their+research+based+projects.+
Freshman Caroline Moore checks out Weebly, the website service Pre-AP English 1 classes will be using in their research based projects.

Olivia Howard, Guest Contributor

Working collaboratively with a group to create a information website, Pre-AP English 1 classes are taking a look at a topic from the 1930s as part of a research project due after students return from winter break.  

“I do consider this a good project,” English 1 teacher Lindsay Pfiffner said. “This allows students to gain a deeper knowledge about research which is something that they will have to continue to do throughout high school, college and for most of them their careers they choose and the topics available are relevant to our novel study To Kill A Mockingbird and also to issues that still continue to take place today.”

Although the time period of the 1930s is nearly 80 years in the past, students feel they can still learn from lessons that still apply today.

“I feel like this project will inform students about past problems concerning economy, government, and social class and how we can learn from past problems,” freshmen Rachel Rever said.

Throughout the process, students are learning and grasping new concepts that many have not truly understood before, such as a deeper understanding of research and how to build a digital platform.

“I truly hope students gain a better understanding of how to create a website,” Pfiffner said. “I’ve seen that many have no idea how to, because this definitely is a skill that would be beneficial to know for future references and also for how these historical events affected cultures and our reading and writing and the things that we view and see.”

Students are being given several weeks to complete the project which has some students feeling the stress.

“Time management and working with our group,” freshman Laura Young said. “Especially when all of us don’t agree on something and can’t find a solution to help fix it along with the extensive requirements that at times can feel very overwhelming.”

Despite the pressure some students are feeling, the project is providing students with skills that can help set them up with a strong base for adulthood.

“This project is valuable in many ways,” Young said. “One being we are exposed to more work and how important planning and collaboration is with others in order to be successful.”