From the field, to the court, to the mat

Talking to his team during a break in action, head coach Stephen Friar goes over a play.

Walker Shippy

Walker Shippy

Walker Shippy

Kasey Harvey, Sports Editor

The first week back at school after winter break was a busy time for the school’s sports teams as the Redhawks won some, and lost some.

Girls’ soccer

The team got a jumpstart on its season playing non-district teams from around Texas at the Dr. Pink Invitational, finishing with a 1-2 record, with several more games to prepare for District 13-5A play.

“I think it showed us that we have some work to do,” senior Lexie McGrady said. “It showed us our strengths and our weaknesses though I think we are prepared for season. I think showing from the tournament our fitness is good. Now, we are going to have to work on formation and system kind of stuff.”

Boys’ soccer

After playing Palo Duro, El Paso Chapin, and Mckinney North, the boys’ team finished the Dr. Pink Invitational with a 1-1-1 record with head coach Fred Kaiser thinking the team improved as the tournament went on.

“I was hoping to come out with at least one more win but considering how we played I was pretty happy with it,” Kaiser said. “We did it in the right order at least we went from a loss to a win. We have some stuff that we need to work on. The effort level was there it was just working situational type things to build up confidence. That’s a tough tournament.”

Girls’ basketball

Senior starting guard Katelyn Burtch led the team to a win scoring 11 points, as the Redhawks defeated Heritage 54-31 Friday night. However, head coach Ross Reedy is expecting more in Tuesday’s game.

“We had some okay points but to be quite honest it wasn’t what we’ve grown to expect from our girls,” Reedy said. “We have come off several good games in a row coming off of the break. With what we’ve come to expect, not with just winning the game but just in our level of play and excitement and chemistry with one another we certainly had some better games. It’s a lot better to learn from a win than it is a loss.”

Boys’ basketball

The boys’ basketball team jumped out to a big lead before holding on for a close win, 64-59, against the Coyotes on Friday night.

“I thought we played well,” junior Peyton Harwell said. “We could have protected the lead a little better but we came out on top and that’s all that matters. I thought I just played within the system and did what I needed to do to help us win the game so I was happy with it but I’m always looking to improve on the small things. Free throws stuff like that.”

Boys’ wrestling

Competing against 6A schools, boys’ wrestling struggled Friday in the Grapevine Duals but were focused for Saturdays matches, improving their performance as the meet went on.

“The tournament this weekend was extremely tough,” head wrestling coach Cody Bridwell said. “It was a great time of growing up for some of our wrestlers because they haven’t seen that kind of talent before. I saw Friday was a rough day. We won one dual out of five and then Saturday we came back and won two in a row. I saw a new level of determination and a new level of teamwork between them all that I hadn’t seen all year. They were really pulling for each other and really wrestling hard.”

Girls’ wrestling

The girls’ team also competed, taking part in the Grapevine individual tournament with junior Savannah West winning an individual championship and three others Redhawks following close behind also advancing to the finals.

“The girls did wrestle also on Saturday,” Bridwell said. “They had a fantastic tournament. We had four in the finals. Savannah won that and the others took second and they ran into some really good talented wrestlers from Byron Nelson. I think that kind of opened their eyes as well. It was nice for them to see tougher talent so they can aspire to work a little harder.”

Kasey Harvey is a junior and is starting her third year of Wingspan with this being her first as editor-in-chief. She enjoys finding local hotspots whether...