Moving to Memorial, campus secretary leaves Liberty

After working for Liberty High School school since it first opened out of Fowler Middle School in 2006, Friday is the last day for campus secretary Barbara Marr as she leaves to take on the task of helping to open Memorial High School.

She will be missed by everyone, and Liberty is losing the best,

— former LHS principal Scott Warstler

“I’m gonna miss the family that I have here, because this is just such an incredible support group of teachers and staff,” Marr said. “I have learned so much about life from the students and being here; that’s the greatest thing I’ve gained from being here.”

Marr’s new role at Memorial fell into place when she created a close bond with Memorial’s principal, Jennifer Redden, after they worked together during summer school for three years.

“She has solid relationships across the district, knows FISD policies and procedures, works well with students, staff, and parents, and wants to have fun while supporting the growth of our students and staff,” Redden said. “Since we are starting from scratch at MHS, she brings her expertise from LHS as a campus secretary to help set up processes across the campus to make the day-to-day responsibilities run smoothly.”

Marr has worked with many school administrators on campus, including Frisco ISD Director of Planning and Business Operations Scott Warstler who served as principal from 2013-2017.

“It is often said the most important person the principal can hire is his secretary,” Warstler said via email. “She had a wonderful sense of humor while maintaining a very professional demeanor.  She truly loves Liberty High School, the students and staff.  She will be missed by everyone, and Liberty is losing the best.”

She brings her expertise from LHS as a campus secretary to help set up processes across the campus to make the day-to-day responsibilities run smoothly,

— Memorial High School principal Jennifer Redden

Marr wasn’t always involved in an educational career though, as she spent twenty years at an oil and gas firm as an IT Auditor, but after 12 years working as an assistant principal secretary and campus secretary, she fell in love with the environment.

“The students here are amazing students,” Marr said. “We have so many talented students here, and it’s been a lot of fun getting to know individual students. I’m gonna miss my students, because for the next nine months, there will be no students around me.”

Although she’s enjoyed her time at  Liberty, Marr is ready to take on a new campus and all the challenges that come with it.

“I’ll be doing a lot more there, because we’re opening the school,” Marr said. “I’ll be involved in the hiring of the whole staff, and ordering that the staff needs: furniture, supplies, stuff like that. I’ll probably be more involved with getting some of the traditions started, and just being involved from day one, because all the staff Memorial has right now is me and the principal.”