• Interested in serving as Rocky the Redhawk this season? If so, contact Coach Stevens in E100 during advisory

• Students and staff will be required to wear school ID badges at all times on campus

• Volleyball plays in the Northwest Tournament Thursday, Friday, and Saturday

DECA starts new semester with district meet

14+DECA+students%2C+along+with+coach+Chris+Ham%2C+are+spending+Tuesday-Thursday+in+downtown+Dallas+for+the+state+DECA+conference.+
14 DECA students, along with coach Chris Ham, are spending Tuesday-Thursday in downtown Dallas for the state DECA conference.

Chris Ham

Chris Ham

Wade Glover, WTV Daily Update Producer

DECA students are off campus Tuesday for the district meet at the Irving Convention Center competing against schools from across north Texas. 

“[The other teams] do make the competition harder,” Senior Sonika Rao said. “But they help you find out what you need to work on the most.”

Students compete in different events, with each one presenting unique challenges to participants. For Rao, that’s the Business Law and Ethics Team Decision Making event.

“We have to analyze an ethical problem with a company given to us in a role play and then plan out what to say and then we go present to the judge, who’s usually the president of the company,” Rao said. “We analyze their problem and how to fix it, and then they ask some questions [about the solution].”

The events present scenarios that students may not learn about in a business class, and Rao says that she has benefitted from the events she has competed in.

“It helps because my event is business law and I want to go into corporate law in the future,” Rao said. “Dealing with the ethical situations is going to help me in the future.”

Wade Glover, WTV Daily Update Producer
Wade Glover is a junior. He is the grade level president of Young Men’s Service League and proudly volunteers with Frisco Family Services, BedStart, and Friday Nite Friends. He is also an active member of Custer Road United Methodist Church and the youth programs there. Wade’s hobbies are golfing, wakeboarding, hanging out with friends, and...