Academic Decathlon heads to regionals

Academic+Decathlon+students+Spencer+Nayar%2C+Luke+Newcombe%2C+Parx+Shearer%2C+Mario+Puerto+Zuniga%2C+James+Osteen%2C+Sayyant+Rath%2C+Chelsea+Kang%2C+Andrew+Sen%2C++and+Som+Gupta+will+be+competing+in+the+state+meet+Thursday-Sunday+at+Collin+College.+

Provided by Gary Mumford

Academic Decathlon students Spencer Nayar, Luke Newcombe, Parx Shearer, Mario Puerto Zuniga, James Osteen, Sayyant Rath, Chelsea Kang, Andrew Sen, and Som Gupta will be competing in the state meet Thursday-Sunday at Collin College.

Keegan Williams, Editor-in-Chief

Most students have one subject that they are particularly better at than others, but for some students on campus being able to test well in ten subjects is something they work on everyday.

The school’s Academic Decathlon team is competing in the regional tournament at Coppell High School on Friday.

“Each kid competes in every event, and you can win medals as an individual or as a team,” coach Gary Mumford said. “Most of the studying is done at home on their own, but we have three practices a week and the students will come in and take practices tests.”

The competition consists of ten different individual competitions ranging from art and music to math and science.

“It’s extremely competitive and very hard to do and you are at the top of your game,” mumford said. “If we make it to state there are also a lot of scholarship opportunities for students.”

For senior Spencer Nayar, Academic Decathlon has many challenges and comes with putting in a lot of effort outside of school.

“My best subject is science because I’ve always been good at biology,” Nayar said. “And my worst subject is music because I haven’t been able to read the research packet.”

Although studying for ten subjects may seem difficult, it pays off in the competition.

“It’s really difficult to make sure that you prepare equally for all the subjects, but it’s really important to try to get all the points you can in every subject.”