Redhawks sweep Knights, wrestlers take on Coyote Classic

Wade Glover

Surya Ravichandran, WTV Staff Reporter

The wrestling, soccer, and basketball teams were in action this weekend. 

For basketball, the boys and girls traveled to Independence to take on the Knights. On the boys side, senior Jaden Bennett put up his second straight back to back 20 point game as the Redhawks extended their win streak to 8 games with the 79-63 win. 

For the girls, coming back from a loss against Lone Star, the Redhawks had a rough first quarter and trailed 14-2. But that was it for Independence. In the next 3 quarters, the girls outscored the Knights 69-29 to come away with the 71-43 win.

The boys and girls soccer teams also went up against Independence. Coming of a loss against Heritage, the boys turned things around and brought home the 1-0 win with junior CJ Nelson putting the ball in the back of the net. The girls looked to win a game after coming off a draw against Heritage. Freshman Ally White scored a goal for the Redhawks, but so did opponent Landry Corbett of the Knights, as the game ended in another 1-1 draw.

The boys and girls wrestling teams were also in action, competing in the annual Coyote Classic Tournament. The girls came away with 1st place honors, led by juniors Savannah West and Jordan Johnston. Meanwhile the boys placed 5 wrestlers in the finals, and finished 3rd in the tournament. The tournament wrapped up the regular season with the district tournament up next for the Redhawks in two weeks.