Practicing the political process

Legislation%2C+executive%2C+and+judicial+decisions+have+been+made+an+opportunity+for+three+juniors+on+campus%2C+after+announcements+rolled+out+Saturday+that+the+trio+would+be+embarking+on+a+trip+to+Austin+this+summer+for+the+Texas+Boys+State+conference.+

Haniah Bashir

Legislation, executive, and judicial decisions have been made an opportunity for three juniors on campus, after announcements rolled out Saturday that the trio would be embarking on a trip to Austin this summer for the Texas Boys State conference.

Keegan Williams, Editor-in-chief

Standing on the floor of the Texas Legislature debating potential bills, 19 students from the school participated in YMCA Youth and Government conference this past weekend.

“Basically everybody at Liberty is in legislative so we were all in some variation of House or Senate,” junior Josie Woodward said. “We debated bills and followed Parliamentary Procedure to either pass bills or not pass them.”

Prior to voting, students had to submit a bill that they wrote to be discussed during the conference.

“Every student had to submit a price of legislation,” sponsor Sarah Wiseman said. “The first day they went into committee and the after that into joint session and then they debated and discussed students bills who made it onto the docket.”

Students involved use this as an opportunity to get first hand experience of how the government really works.

“Especially is the student is interested in politics, it gives them experience in government and legislature,” Wiseman said. “But for students who maybe that isn’t their ultimate passion, it still prepares them to be good citizens.”