• Tennis wins Bi-District Championship beating McKinney North 10-4

• Gary Burns 5K & Fun Run is Oct. 27 at Toyota Stadium

• Board of Trustees calls for TRE and Bond Election to be on Nov. ballot

Debate to state

Keegan Williams, Editor-in-Chief

Four debate students made school history on Saturday as the school swept the CX/Policy Debate district competition, sending juniors Ria Bhasin, Priya Nalliah, Amina Syeda, and sophomore Kruthi Kanduri to state March 16-17 in Austin.

“Policy debate is basically where the affirmative brings up a new policy for the federal government to enact,” Amina Syeda said. “This year our resolution was ‘should the federal government substantially increase funding for primary or secondary education’.”

With different partners from last year, the team is excited to see how well they will do.

“Im looking forward to learning more and learning more about how the circuit works and how everyone’s really approached the resolution in different ways,” Kanduri said. “I’m really looking forward to that and I hop we make it to at least semi finals.”

In her first year competing, Kanduri is ready to see what state will be like.

“It’s my first year in debate so obviously I’m pretty excited,” Kanduri said. “I’m really nervous actually because we have the best of the best coming from each district in Texas and going against them for such a hard topic this year especially is really nerve wracking.”

Leading the debate program for the last three years, Melissa Maier gives all the credit to her students.

“I have an overwhelming sense of pride right now and I feel like it has nothing to do with me,” Maier said. “These kids get in there and they work so hard and they give up a lot of their free time to build these cases an to make sure that they’re showcasing their knowledge and the way that they view things politically and they do an amazing job and I’m just very very proud.”

Keegan Williams, Editor-in-Chief
Keegan ‘KEEG$’ Williams, is a senior and Editor-in-Chief for Wingspan. She likes to partake in many activities such as watching Youtube and talking loudly. She also enjoys juggling, playing with her black lab, and pretending she can rap. KEEG$ is never seen without a water bottle, and loves hanging out with friends. KEEG$ is an icon throughout...
Roy Nitzan, Chief Photographer
Roy Nitzan is a junior in WTV, he is the chief photographer who still can’t make a basket in the trash. Contact Roy: [email protected]