Dual Credit Information Night Wednesday at Independence

Kasey Harvey

The Collin College Writing Center is offering free help with college applications to dual credit students. Appointments will be available at all locations, including neighboring areas such as the Frisco, Plano, and McKinney campuses.

Brelyn Bashrum, Guest Contributor

Getting a head start on college is the focus of Wednesday’s Dual Credit Information Night at Independence High School from 6-8 p.m. where students and parents can gain insight into college credit classes taken while still in high school.

“I think having dual credit classes is beneficial,” junior Alexis Jennings said. “It gives you a college class experience while you’re in high school, so you’ll be better prepared for the real world in college.”

Courses are being added each year to Frisco ISD’s dual credit program and students in the class of 2021 will be able to earn an associate degree through Collin College while simultaneously completing requirements for a high school diploma.

“I think it can save a lot of money depending on what college you go to,” junior Catherine Stolle said. “You get college credit out of it, and you get a school class credit for graduation.”

Hosted by Frisco ISD and Collin College, junior Kennedy Williams likes the options presented by  dual credit opportunities in the district.

“I feel like if students don’t want to go through the burden of losing sleep and making sacrifices for good grades, this is a good alternative,” Williams said. “At the same time, it provides students with some sort of challenge so that they’re not just breezing through a class.”