Interactive shirts help Med Term students learn lessons

Working+on+an+assignment%2C+freshman+Siri+Kothapalli+wears+her+Medical+Terminology+interactive+t-shirt+on+Thursday%2C+Feb.+8%2C+2018.+

Jennifer Hernandez

Working on an assignment, freshman Siri Kothapalli wears her Medical Terminology interactive t-shirt on Thursday, Feb. 8, 2018.

Kirthi Injeti, Staff Reporter

Moving away from taking notes and listening to lectures the Medical Terminology class is doing an interactive shirt making project displaying all the body systems they have learned about through the year. Students will also have an opportunity to earn extra credit by wearing their shirt and having teachers sign it on Thursday.

This project is better than just drawing a diagram because students actually have to think out the perspective of how each organ fits within the body cavities,” Medical Terminology teacher Maribeth Thomas said. “They also must visualize and draw accurate size if the organs in relation to each other but inside the actual human body.”

Many students such as freshman Morgan Nesbitt appreciate the creative aspect of the project.

“The reason I why I like this project is because you can show how creative you are while drawing the body system,” Nesbitt said.

Students also find making a t-shirt more interesting and prefer it over just studying and labeling a diagram.

“I think this project is interesting because it’s a creative and hands on project,” sophomore Soria Sikander said. “And you get a visual image of where the organs are.”

Thomas sees this project as a way for students to take a break and relax while also reviewing the material they learned during the first semester.

“Since Med Term is such a vocabulary based class with limited hands on and project-based work, this assignment acts as a “brain break” from the usual style of how lessons are presented while challenging students to be creative and anatomically combine the three body systems in relation to one another,” Thomas said. “I hope students are able to have fun and complete the project with knowledge they gained in class.”