• Gary Burns 5K & Fun Run is Oct. 27 at Toyota Stadium

• Board of Trustees calls for TRE and Bond Election to be on Nov. ballot

ISM applications now available

ISM+applications+are+now+available+for+rising+juniors+and+seniors+interested+in+shadowing+a+mentor+in+a+field+of+their+choice.+
ISM applications are now available for rising juniors and seniors interested in shadowing a mentor in a field of their choice.

Megan Lin, Editor-in-chief

Although course cards for the 2018-2019 school year have been turned in, students who are interested in application-based programs like Independent Study and Mentorship (ISM) must submit separate applications in order to be able to take that class.

“The maximum number of students who will be accepted into ISM is 52,” ISM teacher Karene Goff said via email. “Which makes it extremely competitive in terms of who makes it into the program.”

Applicants must ask their teachers to complete an evaluation and fill out the online application before qualifying for the interview stage, which will take place the week after spring break.

“Once the applications are evaluated, students who qualify for an interview will be notified,” Goff said. “Juniors who are currently in ISM 1 and wish to be considered for a second year must apply for ISM 2.”

Goff recommends that students who “have a strong work ethic” and “already have a strong interest in a field” apply for the program.

“Students who thrive and are happiest in ISM have integrity and can be trusted to leave campus to conduct interviews and visit mentors, are highly intelligent and academically driven because the curriculum and schedule are demanding, and are committed to producing top quality work,” Goff said.

Applications are due March 2 by 11:55pm.

Megan Lin, Editor-in-chief

Megan is a junior who joined Wingspan her freshman year. In her free time, she likes to eat and sleep (not at the same time) and cry at the amount of work she hasn’t done yet. She laughs a little too much at the stupidest things and besides that, she sometimes pretends to be a musician.

Contact Megan: [email protected]