• Gary Burns 5K & Fun Run is Oct. 27 at Toyota Stadium

• Board of Trustees calls for TRE and Bond Election to be on Nov. ballot

Filed under A&E

Lin to play with Lewisville Symphony

Shortly after playing Carnegie Hall last December, junior Megan Lin won the Vernell Gregg competition, which gave her the opportunity to perform a solo with the Lewisville Lake Symphony Friday at 7:30 p.m. in the Medical Center of Lewisville Grand Theater.

In order to receive this opportunity, Lin was required to audition for a panel of judges. The symphony was not required to pick a winner if they didn’t deem any contestants worthy enough.

Megan was the unanimous choice of all four judges for the Grand Prize,”

— Adron Ming

“The were many fine contestants, but Megan was the unanimous choice of all four judges for the Grand Prize,” conductor and music director of the Lewisville Lake Symphony Adron Ming said. “Opportunities for a soloist to perform with an orchestra in a live concert are rare. Megan’s chance to perform with the symphony is an important step in her musical development.”

As a result of her winning, Lin will play a 25-minute solo during the symphony’s performance of Haydn: Symphony No. 103 in E-Flat Major. According to Lin, preparing the piece was no easy feat.

“I had to practice a lot, which included putting practicing before my homework,” Lin said. “If I practice, I can’t just practice a little bit; I have to practice a sufficient amount, and if I do homework at a later time, since I still have to do it, I end up sleeping less.”

Lin’s accomplishment is also rare within the school’s orchestra, as she is the only student at the school to ever have the opportunity to perform with a professional orchestra.

Even though she’s an incredible musician, I still feel like she doesn’t take orchestra for granted,”

— Julie Blackstock

“We’ve had students perform with the GDYO or SMU symphony, but this is the first time we’ve had someone win a competition to perform with a professional symphony,” orchestra director Julie Blackstock said. “Even though she’s an incredible musician, I still feel like she doesn’t take orchestra for granted and see it as beneath her. It might be something that’s easier for her, but she still gives it 110 percent.”

Despite the high praise from her directors, Lin still feels the pressure of performing as a soloist.

“I’m nervous because I’ve never played in an orchestra as a soloist before,” Lin said. “It means a lot because it’s the kind of experience I’ll need for later on in my career.”