• Gary Burns 5K & Fun Run is Oct. 27 at Toyota Stadium

• Board of Trustees calls for TRE and Bond Election to be on Nov. ballot

Wrestling teams advance 14 to this weekend’s regional meet

Girls' team wins district championship, boys' team takes third

Both+the+boys%27+and+girls%27+wrestling+teams+are+sending+seven+wrestlers+to+this+weekend%27s+regional+tournament+at+Independence+High+School.+The+girls%27+team+won+the+District+8+championship+with+the+boys%27+team+taking+third.+
Both the boys' and girls' wrestling teams are sending seven wrestlers to this weekend's regional tournament at Independence High School. The girls' team won the District 8 championship with the boys' team taking third.

provided by Justin Koons

provided by Justin Koons

Keegan Williams, Editor-in-chief

Both boys’ and girls’ wrestling teams took the the mat to compete in the Region II District 8 wrestling tournament Friday and Saturday at Prosper High School.

Savannah West, Ashtyn Stevens, and Jordan Johnston all took first place on the girls side with  Ashley Cook, Princess Egbuchunam, and Daley Burkett earning second place, and Megan Weidenbach coming home in third.

“The girls’ team ended any drama early about who would claim the District Championship by advancing six wrestlers to the finals and building an insurmountable lead,” assistant coach Tim Brennan said. “The team came away with three district champions, three runners-up and one third place finisher.”

All seven wrestlers that competed are advancing to the regional tournament this weekend at Independence High School.

The boys team also had success as they advanced five wrestlers to the finals and gave the team seven qualifiers for the regional meet.

“Senior, Precious Essien and junior, Diego Lorenso each claimed their first place and earned the title of District Champion,” Brennan said. “Senior Broderick Green lost a close match to the defending state champion from Centennial while brother Jon Green fought his way to the finals before forfeiting due to an injury.  Junior Austin Widner continued to amaze and lost in the finals to the tournament’s outstanding wrestler from Prosper.”

Also qualifying for the boys’ team, Andrew Peters who took third place and Aramando Vasquez who finished in fourth.

This story was updated on 2/13/18 to correct the misspelling of Lorenso. In addition, the names of other boys who qualified for the regional tournament were also added. 

Keegan Williams, Editor-in-Chief
Keegan ‘KEEG$’ Williams, is a senior and Editor-in-Chief for Wingspan. She likes to partake in many activities such as watching Youtube and talking loudly. She also enjoys juggling, playing with her black lab, and pretending she can rap. KEEG$ is never seen without a water bottle, and loves hanging out with friends. KEEG$ is an icon throughout...
1 Comment

One Response to “Wrestling teams advance 14 to this weekend’s regional meet”

1. Dante Lorenso on February 12th, 2018 11:37 pm

Dear Editors,

I am no English major, however …

The “boys’ also had major success” probably does not need an apostrophe.

Diego’s last name is spelled Loren-S-o. It’s an S, not a Z.

Also, “tournaments outstanding wrestler” probably needs apostrophe on “tournament’s”.

Next, I feel like there’s supposed to be a lot of commas to separate the names of the wrestlers from their grade. For example:

“Senior, Precious Essien, and Junior, Diego Lorenso, each claimed first place” and “Junior, Austin Widner, continued …”

These commas being necessary to distinguish that his name is not “Junior A. Widner”.

Finally, Senior, Andrew Peters, received 3rd Place at the Districts. He would love to be recognized also.

Do these sound like proper corrections?

Keep up the great articles. We love to read them all! Thanks!

— Dante

• Wrestling teams advance 14 to this weekend’s regional meet

United Colors of Liberty: Jai Dunlop

Say it Louder: “Subtweeting”

Playoffs to begin inside for tennis team

Heads or Tales: Refugee Crisis

Cafeteria taste test

Second half rally not enough as football falls to Centennial

Taming the Lions the goal as tennis prepares for playoffs

Luck not part of the equation as volleyball wins 13th straight game

Keeping Up with Kanika: Breaks should be for a break